Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pesto Pasta

My first job was at a family owned Italian restaurant called Strapazza. It finally closed after I had been working there for four years. The place has now been taken over by one of our regulars and they hired the same cooks so you can pretty much order the same food. One of my favorite dishes was always the pesto. I learned the secret to the sauce was Marsala wine. The version I make at home tastes very similar to the restaurant version with half the guilt. Whole wheat penne adds a serving of whole grain and the sauce is light so the pasta soaks it up right away. The best part is the mushrooms that are tender and filled with Marsala flavor.

I love making this dish because it takes me back to my restaurant days. If you want to add grilled chicken or other vegetables to the dish, be my guest. This is a pretty quick week night dinner that you can make when you're in a rush.

                            

Ingredients
1/2 box of whole wheat penne pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic
8 oz baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1/4 cup marsala cooking wine
1/4 cup Buitoni reduced fat pesto
1 tablespoon heavy cream
Salt
Pepper

Directions

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. 
  2. While pasta is cooking add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add garlic and let cook for one minute. Add mushrooms. 
  3. When all the oil has been soaked up, add the Marsala wine.
  4. Cover and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. 
  5. Stir in pesto and cream. Let simmer for a couple minutes. 
  6. Drain pasta and add to the skillet with sauce and mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment